What if I lost my completion certificate/temporary permit?

Hamilton’s is unable to provide a duplicate of your temporary permit/completion certificate. If you have completed drivers ed and lost the completion certificate that was given to you after you took the permit test, you will have to mail in your information to the state by filling out this form (click here to access it). Print out the form, fill it out and mail it to the address given on the form, and they will mail your completion certificate back to you.

What will the student need on the first day of class?

  • Payment, cash or check. $150 non-refundable deposit is due before class starts, the rest is paid on the first night of class.
  • Glasses or contacts, if student wears them.
  • A mask
  • Birth Certificate

What are the requirements after receiving their permit?
Before applying for the license a driver is required to fulfill three things:

  • Must complete and document 70 hours of driving time. At least 10 of these hours must be at night.
  • Must have the permit for a minimum of 6 months.
  • Must be 16 years of age.

At what age can a student start Drivers Ed?
Maine Law requires all students to be 15 years of age on or before the first day of class to be enrolled in any driver education course. Students who have not turned fifteen by the date of the first class must wait until the next available course by state law.

What happens if a student must miss a class?
The student must make up that class in the next session of drivers ed. If he or she missed the 2nd class then they would be required by state law to attend the second class in another session before receiving a permit.

What if a student loses their permit?
The student will have to go to the BMV with their original birth certificate, their mother of father will have to come and show their license, and there will be a fee of $2.00. Hamilton’s is unable to provide a duplicate.